Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Preparing for the final paper

So the semester ends on December 23rd, and I have a final paper to complete.

I went to the Natural History Museum last Saturday with a friend, and on the second floor we visited a section on Ancient China. In the case was a diagram of what theatrical faces the Chinese painted on, and they were really cool!

They looked like this:










So while it's been a really great experience learning about why people wear contemporary makeup, my degree is 'Makeup Design in Performance', so I thought it'd be a good idea to end with a paper on a performance aspect of makeup.

There are a few good articles on JSTOR, including one called:
A Picture of the Art of Face Painting and Make-Up in the Classical Chinese Theatre by Sophia Delza.

There are also a couple good online resources I found dedicated to this kind of makeup:
http://yeschinatour.com/china-guides/chinese-culture/facial-makeup/

Hopefully, I'll find at least six good sources to do this paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment